Rajesh Kumar Swaminathan
I'm a smart generalist who loves working for scaled consumer web businesses. I have 10+ years of PHP/MySQL experience under my belt. I work fast, and focus on getting things done and shipped. "Done is better than perfect" is the only mantra I know, and I live and breathe it everyday. I dream about scalability on sleepless nights.
Things I'm most passionate about: PHP 5.5+ features & code cleanliness, MySQL performance, design & optimization, code coverage reports from phpunit, pair programming with smart people, and detailed code reviews on github.
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada (Sep 2005 - Apr 2010)
Honours Nanotechnology Engineering, Math Minor, Management Science Minor
Graduated with 11 extra courses (roughly 400 hours and $9,000 worth of free extra instruction) than what was required.
Overall GPA: 83%
New Westminster Secondary, Vancouver, BC, Canada (Sep 2003 - Jun 2005)
Grade 12 International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Overall Score: 40/45
- Databases: MySQL (pro), Memcache, Membase, Redis.
- Operating Systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, UNIX utilities, BASH shell scripting.
- Tools: Git, Github, Subversion, RightScale, Splunk, Jenkins, Nagios, pdsh, emacs (pro), regular expressions (pro)
- Other: Agile/extreme techniques, unit testing, continuous deployment, deployment strategy, pair programming, code reviews, build automation.
Check out my coding style on GitHub: https://github.com/meetrajesh
- Kixeye Inc, San Francisco, CA (Jan 2014 - Present)
Full-time staff engineer developing best practices in PHP and making sure great code is written. Feature development, unit testing, and code refactoring on the side. Responsible for overall PHP leadership, architecture and implementation of design patterns on a large codebase.
- Checkout 51, Toronto, Canada (Jun 2013 - Dec 2013)
Full-time web software developer working on robust development of mission-critical backend features using PHP/MySQL. Further work on scalability issues, caching issues, event log tracking, user notifications, and unit testing.
- Zynga Inc, San Francisco & Toronto (Jul 2010 - Jun 2013)
Full-time senior software engineer working out of Zynga's satellite office in Toronto, Canada. Backend engineer specializing in scalability issues, server tools, feature development, code deployment, optimization, config and cloud management. In case you haven't heard of Zynga, check out what they're all about, the lifestyle, the perks they offer, and how much they're worth.
- Tagged Inc, San Francisco, CA (Jan 2009 - Aug 2009)
Added new revenue generating features to tagged.com social discovery website. Learned to write high performance PHP, A-B testing, and memcache integration. Tagged is the #3 social networking website in the USA.
Top Courses at Waterloo
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 112 Linear Algebra - 97%
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 113 Engineering Computation - 97%
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 121 Chemistry - 96%
- 1B Winter 2006 - NE 115 Probability and Statistics - 94%
- 1B Winter 2006 - MATH 119 Calculus 2 For Engineering - 94%
- 2A Fall 2006 - MSCI 331 Intro to Optimization - 95%
- 2A Fall 2006 - MATH 211 Advanced Calculus 1 - 96%
- 2B Spring 2007 - NE 233 Polymer Science - 96%
- 2B Spring 2007 - MATH 212 Advanced Calculus 2 - 95%
- 3A Spring 2008 - MATH 239 Intro Combinatorics and Graph Theory - 96%
- 3A Spring 2008 - MATH 235 Linear Algebra 2 - 97%
- 3B Fall 2008 - NE 340L Microfabrication & Thin Film Technology LAB - 91%
- 4A Fall 2009 - NE 445 Photonics and Optoelectronics - 90%
- 4B Winter 2010 - CO 370 Operations Research (OR) Models and Algorithms
- Final exam grade - 103%
- Final course grade - 92%