Things I'm most passionate about: programming language features, code cleanliness, idiomatic Ruby, MySQL performance, code coverage reports, pair programming on a standing desk, and PR code reviews on GitHub.
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada (Sep 2005 - Apr 2010)
Nanotech Engineering, minor in Math, minor in Management Sciences (optimization)
Graduated with 11 extra courses (roughly 400 hours and $9,000 worth of free extra instruction) than what was required.
Overall GPA: 83%. Turns out taking extra courses lowers your GPA.
New Westminster Secondary, Vancouver, BC, Canada (Sep 2003 - Jun 2005)
Grade 12 International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Overall Score: 40/45
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Elasticsearch, Redis, Memcached
- Tools: Git/GitHub, New Relic, Jenkins, Sublime Text, Emacs, Regexes
- Other: Agile/extreme techniques, unit testing, continuous deployment, pair programming, code reviews, build automation
Check out my coding style on GitHub: https://github.com/meetrajesh
- Instacart, San Francisco, CA (Mar 2015 - Present)
Generalist full-stack Ruby/Rails backend search engineer working on:
- Search infrastructure, performance, quality, and UX
- Elasticsearch performance and optimization
- ETL process for continuously bulk importing catalog data from Postgres into Elasticsearch
- MyTime, San Francisco, CA (May 2014 - Nov 2014)
Full-stack Ruby/Rails engineer working on several brand-new features. Learned to index and search/query large number of documents (~4 million) inside Elasticsearch. Implemented dynamic packages for appointments (Buy 5, get instant 10% off), fast real-time auto suggest for our search box, social features, and Salesforce API integration.
- Checkout 51, Toronto, Canada (Jun 2013 - Dec 2013)
Full-time web software developer working on robust development of mission-critical backend features using PHP/MySQL. Further work on scalability issues, caching issues, event log tracking, user notifications, and unit testing.
- Zynga Inc, San Francisco/Toronto (Jul 2010 - Jun 2013)
Full-time senior software engineer working out of Zynga's satellite office in Toronto, Canada. Backend engineer specializing in scalability issues, server tools, feature development, code deployment, optimization, config and cloud management.
- Tagged Inc, San Francisco, CA (Jan 2009 - Aug 2009)
Added new revenue generating features to tagged.com social discovery website. Learned to write high performance PHP, A-B testing, and memcache integration. Tagged is the #3 social networking website in the USA.