Rajesh Kumar Swaminathan
I'm a smart generalist who loves working for scalable consumer web businesses. I have 10+ years of PHP/MySQL, 5+ years of Ruby, and 2+ years of Rails experience under my belt. I work fast, and focus on getting things done and shipped. "Done is better than perfect" is the only mantra I know, and I live and breathe it everyday. I dream about scalability on sleepless nights.
Things I'm most passionate about: programming language features, code cleanliness, idiomatic Ruby, MySQL performance, code coverage reports, pair programming on a standing desk, and code reviews on GitHub.
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, ON, Canada (Sep 2005 - Apr 2010)
Honours Nanotechnology Engineering, Math Minor, Management Science Minor
Graduated with 11 extra courses (roughly 400 hours and $9,000 worth of free extra instruction) than what was required.
Overall GPA: 83%. Turns out taking extra courses lowers your GPA.
New Westminster Secondary, Vancouver, BC, Canada (Sep 2003 - Jun 2005)
Grade 12 International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Overall Score: 40/45
- Databases: MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Elasticsearch, Redis, Memcached
- Tools: Git, GitHub, Papertrail, New Relic, Jenkins, Nagios, Emacs, regular expressions
- Other: Agile/extreme techniques, unit testing, continuous code deployment, pair programming, code reviews, build automation
Check out my coding style on GitHub: https://github.com/meetrajesh
- Instacart, San Francisco, CA (Mar 2015 - Present)
Generalist full-stack Ruby/Rails backend search engineer working on: 1) search infrastructure, performance, quality, and UX, 2) Elasticsearch performance and optimization, 3) ETL process for continuously bulk importing catalog data from Postgres into Elasticsearch, 4) spearheading company-wide transition from Redis to Elasticsearch for caching and catalog browsing/searching
- MyTime, San Francisco, CA (May 2014 - Nov 2014)
Full-stack Ruby/Rails engineer working on several brand-new features. Learned to index and search/query large number of documents (~4 million) inside Elasticsearch. Implemented dynamic packages for appointments (Buy 5, get instant 10% off), fast real-time auto suggest for our search box, social features, and Salesforce API integration.
- Checkout 51, Toronto, Canada (Jun 2013 - Dec 2013)
Full-time web software developer working on robust development of mission-critical backend features using PHP/MySQL. Further work on scalability issues, caching issues, event log tracking, user notifications, and unit testing.
- Zynga Inc, San Francisco/Toronto (Jul 2010 - Jun 2013)
Full-time senior software engineer working out of Zynga's satellite office in Toronto, Canada. Backend engineer specializing in scalability issues, server tools, feature development, code deployment, optimization, config and cloud management.
- Tagged Inc, San Francisco, CA (Jan 2009 - Aug 2009)
Added new revenue generating features to tagged.com social discovery website. Learned to write high performance PHP, A-B testing, and memcache integration. Tagged is the #3 social networking website in the USA.
Top Courses at Waterloo
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 112 Linear Algebra - 97%
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 113 Engineering Computation - 97%
- 1A Fall 2005 - NE 121 Chemistry - 96%
- 1B Winter 2006 - NE 115 Probability and Statistics - 94%
- 1B Winter 2006 - MATH 119 Calculus 2 For Engineering - 94%
- 2A Fall 2006 - MSCI 331 Intro to Optimization - 95%
- 2A Fall 2006 - MATH 211 Advanced Calculus 1 - 96%
- 2B Spring 2007 - NE 233 Polymer Science - 96%
- 2B Spring 2007 - MATH 212 Advanced Calculus 2 - 95%
- 3A Spring 2008 - MATH 239 Intro Combinatorics and Graph Theory - 96%
- 3A Spring 2008 - MATH 235 Linear Algebra 2 - 97%
- 3B Fall 2008 - NE 340L Microfabrication & Thin Film Technology LAB - 91%
- 4A Fall 2009 - NE 445 Photonics and Optoelectronics - 90%
- 4B Winter 2010 - CO 370 Operations Research (OR) Models and Algorithms
- Final exam grade - 103%
- Final course grade - 92%